Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year Brings New Goals

I have made a habit of NOT ever starting my "resolutions" for the year until after my birthday. And even then I sometimes put it off for another week or two...just because I can. I mean really...what happens to a person is you start your new years goals on the 8th rather than the 1st. Apparently NOTHING. Go figure. This year I made a few decisions about my goals the first is that I am not making any goals regarding exercise, or eating a certain way; second that my goals must be simple and basic. Sometimes I get a little carried away and make goals that put all together are just too hard to really actually do. I have also decided instead of these being year long resolutions I am going to re-evaluate around the 4th of July and make whatever changes I need to. Why am I tell you this? who knows. I should be writing this in my journal, but it is upstairs and I am down here with the computer instead.

So this year I am making a goal for each of my kids, my marriage, a hobby goal, and a spiritual goal and a challenge. Before you go thinking "oh man Angela way to keep it simple...dumbo" read my goals and then you see why I can get away with making about 7 goals for 2012.

1: Jared: help Jared learn to read. He is already off to a good start, a few weeks ago he picked up a book that he had never looked at and read it to Dave. We were so impressed with him. I want to spend just a few minutes everyday teaching him to read the same way my mom taught us kids years ago.

2: Nora: Do her hair more often than not. I kind of think this will be the hardest one I make this year. I might quickly adjust this goal to "do her hair three times a week."

3: Baby Stark: Have the baby. I am looking forward to the success of this goal.

4: my marriage: I will make my bed everyday. I know you think this is lame and how does it help a marriage...well let me tell you. I find that Dave and I love getting into a made bed and we are happier when we got to do so. So there you go. Besides it is my goal and I am keeping it simple...remember.

5: My Hobby: make quilts for the kids' beds. I am excited to get started on this. I miss doing my own hobbies...and it is time to get back to it. I would like to make a baby quilt for baby (duh) and two twins or the kids. I will not be working on these at the same time...in case you were wondering

6: Spiritual: Work on Personal Progress for 20 minutes every week. This was a suggestion made by the YW pres. and I thought, I could handle 20 minutes. Now that church is at 1 I should be able to swing that.

7: My own Challenge: Facebook Friday. I want to lay off Facebook and only look at it once a week, this will also limit my time on email and the blog world. I am sick of how much time I waste on the computer. I think I might even ask Dave to take the laptop with him to work every day so it isn't even a temptation. Think of all the TV I can watch now that I won't be on the computer. HA that was supposed to be a joke!


I know it is 7 goals/resolutions but I think they are all doable...right? Last week the missionaries were at my parents house and so were we for dinner and they talked about a new year with the opportunity to make new goals and starting fresh. They talked about how the Atonement can help us do just that. My Dad then suggested that every week during the Sacrament that we take a moment to think about our goals, and how we are doing on them. Maybe recommit ourselves to a goal, or make changes because it simply isn't working right, or realizing the challenge that positive change can be and being ready to try again during the next week. I loved this suggestion. I love the idea of having a time weekly to think about how I am doing. I know that with a baby coming I will be more busy, more tired, and more tired (yes I meant to type that twice). But I also know that I can be a little better every week in some way...even if it just making the bed.


Phew this was a lot of typing...I honestly doubt anyone made it this far...but that is fine...this post is really more for me than anyone else.


BUT if you did get this far here is a fun story: As I was typing this out Nora and Jared were upstairs playing. Nora came running downstairs and said "mom I have someting for you" she then handed me a small nail. Not the kind you hammer but the kind that grows out of a finger. She looked so excited and said "mom, it is for you. It is a special nail." I took it and said "wow thanks" and she nodded and repeated "it is special. See it came for this finger. bye mom."


What do I do with my special nail now?

2 comments:

Bryanna Johnson said...

What a special gift! haha. Seth did that once too. Except he told me to take a picture of it and put it on my blog. I like your goals. Way to go.

Susie said...

:0) put it somewhere "special"