Friday, October 29, 2010

Book 12: Uncle Tom's Cabin

This story takes plan in the mi 1800s. It follows Uncle Tom (duh) through about 8 maybe ten years of his life. Along the way the reader is introduced to a number of other characters and their stories about being a slave, like Uncle Tom, others are about their white masters.
I will admit that it took a few chapters for me to actually want to read the book and the fact that it is a good 400+ pages made it a slow start. BUT once I got started I was in love. Just like so many books written long ago it is written in such a way that you can't help but fall in love with some of the characters and grow to dislike others a great deal--more so then characters we read in more modern books. There were times when I was giddy to read the next page, and so sad I had to put it down (no I didn't cry...that's not what I do.)
I think that the greatest lesson that I could have learned from this is that the character of a man, the faith that he has in the Lord, and the integrity he carries with him is more important than anything else that the world can offer. In the end, if you don't have those three things then what is there really?
If you haven't caught on by now this is a GREAT book. In fact one of my favorite now. Up there with Pride and Prejudice and Blue Eyes and Other Lies. Read it. If you are like me it will take you about a month or more but it is worth it! Someday this will be part of my library.
READ IT!

No comments: