
Night
By Elie Wiesel
Why do we read books like this? Its a 15 year old boys experience in the Holocaust. He was taken at the end of the war, but still endured tremendous amounts of brutality. Through the whole book I was sick from the awfulness that the Jews had to endure, and amazing at their ability to live through such awful circumstances.
Of coarse there is a lot to be learned from this book and this terrible event in history. Besides the amazing miracle of Elie living through such torture I took one great thing from this book. The strength of family. It seemed that Elie and his father who were together through out the whole ordeal drew strength from one another. They didn't want to die and leave the other alone. Together they might have a chance, so they did all they could to stay close and to push the other along. In the end Elie's father dies just days before the war is over and American soldiers come to give aid. But he lasted long enough to ensure that his son would live to the end. I am grateful for the strength that we can find in our families. Although none of us will live through such awfulness, we will all have our own hard times. What a great blessing it is that we can turn to families and friends to help get us through and see is to the end.
2 comments:
Just reading your post breaks my heart, I don't think I could make it through the book. Thanks for sharing. I am grateful for families and friends who lift us up and keep us going!
I went to a concentration camp when I was in Germany. I also have read many books telling the stories of camp survivors. But, actually seeing and being in one made such a DEEP impact on me. It even still smelled like death. I thought the books were explicit and terrible...it was overwhelming to actually see things. I am so grateful for those experiences though- like you said so much can be learned from these mighty people!
Post a Comment