Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Book 11: Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice
By Jane Austen
I just finished this book about 5 minutes ago. I was so excited about it that I wanted to write down my thoughts before I moved onto the next book on my shelf. But I just might be so excited that I make little since of it all and jabber on and on.

First off, I have to issue an apology to my roommate, I remember her going on and on about how wonderful this book was and I always seemed to think she was one of those who liked to read boring books (poor girl). She also would encourage me, with great force at times, to watch the 5 VHS version of the book. Again, I would gag at the though of having Pride and Prejudice on out apartment TV for days at a time..BORING. I was wrong, I am sorry. I cannot wait to watch the long version, especially now that I have realized HOW much was left out of the newest version. I mean seriously all the best parts where left out and some of the characters in the movie don't even match the book.

Needless to say I loved this book. I couldn't help but fall in love with the characters more and more with each page. I read the last few chapters outside while I "watched" the kids play and I believe I was all smiles and giggles. There were of coarse moments when I felt lost, I mean seriously it is still Jane Austen. And there were quit a few words that I had never even seen before. And what in the world does "&c" mean? they ended some of the letters with this.

This is probably on the top of my FAVORITE BOOKS EVER and I can't wait to someday have a copy of my own.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

You silly girl! So, you never watched that with us huh? So good. I read that book about once a year I think. It really is so good. I love hearing when people finally read it for the first time. I did it for a book club last year, and it was the first time reading it for everyone that showed up. Such a great story and characters. FYI: 'Persuasion' is my favorite Jane Austin. Try it sometime. ;) Also, if you lived near me I would totally watch the long version with you. I own 4 different movie versions. [Poor girl(me). lol]

Maggie said...

For as much of a Pride and Prejudice nut as I am, I have never read the book. I've read Emma, loved it. I've tried Sense and Sensibilty but couldn't get through it. I checked out Mansfield Park, and will have to find Pride and Prejudice next. Glad you loved it, and you HAVE GOT TO watch the BBC version, it is the best!

The Leonards said...

I agree, it is one of the best books I have ever read!

Katie Bell said...

I can't believe you haven't read this before, that's almost un-American, or un-Britain.