Monday, June 21, 2010

Are You There God? Its me, Margaret


Are You There God? Its me, Margaret
By Judy Blume

I remember hearing somewhere that this book was one of those that have been on banned book lists across the nation and in different schools, so when I saw it on the TIME's reading list I knew I had to read it. I am such a rebel I know. When I first looked at the cover and the LARGE print and I couldn't figure out why such an innocent looking book would be such a controversy.

It is about an 11 year old who has just moved and is dealing with a new school, way of living and a changing body. Ladies, remember those times!! FUN FUN FUN Its a cute story, but I don't think I would want my 11 year old to read it. But now as a 27 year old I think its a hoot. My only beef with it was how little they addressed the "clique" part of the story and how hurtful girls can be to each other, they started to address it, but nothing was resolved. Maybe I was looking for the complete happy end, I guess that's just the point Blume was getting at, that at the age of 11 and 12 girls want to be accepted and to part of something, even if it hurts others. I don't know. I hope Nora is better than that. But I remember being 12 and they aren't all rainbows and gumdrops.

Its a great little story that I blasted through in a day. and I would recommend it to someone NOT 12.
*oh and we found the camera...woot woot now I just need to take some pictures.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I read that when I was young. I wish I remembered what I thought about it then. I read it again in college, and I think I thought along the same lines as you. I actually own it. Luckily, I don't have to decide when I will let my girls read it. ;) I can keep it all too myself. Sadly, I also don't get to share my whole Babysitter's Club series with girls either.

k said...

I know I read it in my earlier years but I don't remember what I read or how old I was. It would be a good one to revisit.

April said...

I will have to read it, I never have. Girls are mean, it was tough being 11 and 12, maybe I shouldn't read it..I like to forget the bad times. :)